Although Medicare covers bone density tests as a preventative benefits eligible, only 13 percent of women under Medicare received a baseline screening test. The recent media coverage of the NEJM study and the fact that the recommendations for future screening on the outcome of women a baseline a baseline screening at age 65 based omitted. The sad truth is that only 13 percent of 65 – year-old women on Medicare indeed received this baseline screening, which basically means that the remaining 87 percent of women are not so fortunate and are not known whether they are in danger, until they have one break..
The health and financial consequences of osteoporosis are serious, for example, one in five seniors with a hip fracture die of complications within 12 months. Experts say that while osteoporosis accounted for an estimated two million fractures and $ 19 billion cost in 2005, the forecast is that by 2025, osteoporosis is responsible for approximately three million fractures and $ 25 annual costs. Continue reading